Saturday, February 23, 2013

Shoveling Metaphors

You know it's been a rough afternoon with the kids when you volunteer to shovel the driveway in a snowstorm just to get a break.

This was me during the last big snowstorm we had in Ottawa.



Speaking of shoveling, many parents of young kids like to quote this famous Phyllis Diller line:

“Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the sidewalk before it stops snowing.” 

I beg to differ, however. If you shovel while it's still snowing, you've still made headway. You still have less to do later. In fact, we often do shovel mid-storm for that reason.

I tend to see cleaning with a toddler in the house as shoveling before the snowplow comes by and pushes all the #@&$ snow back in your driveway. In this case, your 35"-tall plow circles the block alllll day long.


1 comment:

  1. I love this - it looks just like me during the last Ottawa snowstorm too! (wait, do I have a second identity where I can draw and have an award winning blog?) I am super quick to offer to shovel, even with my back out. And yes, I must shovel during the storm...all but the plow hump that I know will just reoccur again and again and again!

    ReplyDelete